Mouth Cancer Foundation reveals changes to the 15th Mouth Cancer 10 KM Awareness WalkNews
Posted by: Dental Design 4th June 2020
Step out and make a difference in the Mouth Cancer 10 KM Awareness Walk, from one of the UK’s leading mouth cancer charities, the Mouth Cancer Foundation, which this year will take place from the convenience of your own front door!
It is a fantastic opportunity to open up the 10 KM walk to more people than ever before. The Mouth Cancer 10 KM Awareness Walk is designed to increase awareness of mouth and all head and neck cancers. It is also an opportunity to celebrate survivorship and raise funds to continue to support patients, carers and survivors coping with mouth cancer.
The idea is to walk a total of 10K, as many times as you like, on your own or with your family and pets, around your own home, garden or local area! The charity is encouraging as many people as possible to take part in this free 10KM sponsored walk between Saturday 3rd October and Monday 30th November 2020. This year we are holding the walk throughout Mouth Cancer Action Month to raise as much awareness as possible.
To take part simply do the following:
- Create a route, around your local area, with a total distance of 10 KM. This could be any combination such as 1 x 10 KM, 2 x 5 KM, 10 x 1 KM. The route can be done in one go, (10 KM is approximately 12500 steps and takes about one and a half to two hours to complete), or over several days. You can even set yourself challenges and do as many 10 KMs as you like over the duration of the event. Ideally this is a walk, but if you wish to run, walk backwards, hop, skip etc that is fine. The choice is yours! Just send us your photos and tag us in on social media.
- Register via www.mouthcancerwalk.org/register. Complete the online application form so we can send you your virtual medal on completion of the Mouth Cancer 10KM Awareness Walk.
- Use a free walking app to create your route. There are loads of free walking Apps to choose from such as Strava, Charity Miles, Map My Walk, Fitbit, Walk Meter, Foot Path Route Planner and Nike Run Club.
- It is important that you use an app as we will need to see a copy of your completed route when you tag us in on social media. This will help form part of the proof of you doing your 10 K.
- Take photos of you and your family having fun walking and supporting us. If you have a mouth cancer foundation t shirt it would be great if you could wear it when taking your photos.
- Upload the following via your Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account: Evidence of your 10 KM route; Photos of you and your family on your walk; Any fundraising donation made via Virgin Money Giving or Just Giving.
- Tag us in at Instagram @mouthcancer, Facebook @mouthcancerfoundation and Twitter @mouthcancerMCF and tag three friends to do the same. Alternatively, you can email the information in at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once we receive your tag/email we will email out your medal.
- The highest fundraisers will receive a prize. Once we receive your donations, we will send out your certificate.
- The walk is open to everyone, including dogs/pets, of any age and ability.
- Encourage your friends, family, colleagues to sign up.
- Anyone who really challenges themselves and can prove they have done 10 KM on each of the 60 days of the event will receive an extra prize.
- All walk activity should be adhering to the governments social distancing policy at the time of taking part.
“This year we are rewriting the rules for our 15th Mouth Cancer 10 KM Awareness Walk, which is the only walk for mouth cancer anywhere in the world and this event promises to be bigger and better than ever,” said Dentist and Mouth Cancer Foundation President, Dr Philip Lewis. “Historically, this annual event has taken place in Hyde Park, London with people travelling from all over the country to take part. Given the pandemic, which has swept across the globe, events in 2020 are forced to take a different route…quite literally.”
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.